LIfe at High Altitude in Colorado

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.

-Edward Abbey, naturalist and author (1927-1989)

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Here, There, and Everywhere - Scavenger Hunt Sunday

We've had perfect fall weather this week in CO - mild and sunny.
Today, however, skies are gloomy. We're hoping for some big snow in the mountains.
I'm in the city, enjoying a relaxing weekend with my husband. Don't worry, I went out ahead of the bad weather to accomplish my four+ miles this morning. My appointment with the Cardiologist is looming, so I'm trying to stay as fit as possible. 

It's been fun gathering photos for the Scavenger Hunt as I spent time both in Breckenridge and Denver this week. 

Thank you to Ashley Sisk who hosts the Meme. 

Here's what I found:

NATURE

I like to spend time in Nature even when I'm in urban areas. Yesterday, I walked around the lake at City Park, about 2 miles from my house. Downtown Denver provided an interesting backdrop to the tranquil scene. 
(iPhone photo)

VINTAGE or RETRO

These family photos hang in our entry in Breckenridge. Some are from the 1800's. The old rug beaters are also antiques. 
(iPhone photo edited with CAMERA!)

WHIMSICAL  

No, it's not Andy Warhol. It's a self portrait using the Thermal Camera in Photo Booth on the iPad and then editing it with the Sketchin app. 

COOKING

Those of you who know me well can imagine my difficulty with this one! My husband and I collaborate making simple meals and are satisfied with a small portion of fish or poultry for protein and a big salad full of raw veggies. Not much "cooking" going on anymore at our house.
This photo is of my Granddaughter, Amanda, (9) who made a cheesecake from my "famous" recipe when she visited us in Breckenridge this summer. It's a heavy, New York style cheesecake, feeds a crowd, and is easy enough for a child to make. She wants to make another this winter over a ski weekend when we have a house full of family. Needless to say, I'd have to run more than 4 miles a day if I was eating this too often! 
(Original photo was taken with my Sony DSLR, but I edited it with the Sketchin app on my iPad.)

WEEK'S BEST

One of my favorite fall photos, I took this at Denver's Wash Park with my iPhone and edited it in CAMERA!



Just in case you want to try the Cheesecake:

CHEESECAKE  
by Barb at LIVE and LEARN
writebreck@gmail.com
INGREDIENTS
Crust
1 pkg. Pepperidge Farm Bordeaux Cookies, finely crushed* (or any sugar-type crisp cookie)
2 T. butter, melted*
Butter or spray for greasing pan
Filling
4  8oz. Pkgs. cream cheese at room temp.  (Can use 2 pkgs. of light.)
2 cups sugar
6 eggs (Can use egg substitute.)
2 tsp. vanilla
16 oz. carton sour cream (Can use light.)
DIRECTIONS
Crust
Grease bottom and sides of large spring form pan with butter.  Combine crumbs with melted butter and pat into bottom of pan.
Filling
Beat cream cheese in large bowl.  Add sugar and beat until fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add vanilla and fold in sour cream.  Pour into pan and bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.  Turn off oven and let cake cool in oven 1 hour.  Remove from oven to cool at room temperature. (Be sure it is cool before refrigerating or top of cake will collect moisture.)  Refrigerate at least 8 hours before serving.  Store in refrigerator.  
HISTORY
This recipe is from The Enlightened Gourmet (I believe the book has been out of print for many years). I have never had it flop It’s a great cake to take to a party, as it will feed about 16 people.  I serve it with fresh fruit or a fruit puree.  There are no high altitude adjustments. *My family likes more crust, so I use 1 ½ Pkgs. of Bordeaux cookies + 3 T melted butter.

36 comments:

  1. The first and last photos are great examples showing that nature can be enjoyed in an urban setting.
    I'm glad you included the cheesecake recipe, Barb. I may have to give it a try.
    We didn't get any snow here at home, but the mountains had 10-20 inches. Hope some snowflakes come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply gorgeous Barb. Love every one of them. And really like that photo wall and rug beaters. Great idea. You've been doing some good stuff on that ipad. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting really creative with all of your apps, and I love the results! I am really intrigued at what you can do with these various applications. I love the view from City Park. I have such wonderful memories of summer days at that boat house. The last photo amazes me. It really is artistic.

    I will look forward to hearing what the cardiologist has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whimsical Barb, I love it! It really reminds me of Andy Warhol. His story and his WILL was aired on TV last Thursday.

    I am so amazed with the many apps you can do with the IP, and I am enjoying your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that cheesecake is part of my diet. I'll stick with the veggies and a small bit of meat. This time of year, though, the veggies will go into the soup pot rather than the salad bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, love love love week's best. Beautiful and stunning! Worthy of a frame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo of your granddaughter is stunning and I would love to try your Cheese cake recipe but I DARE NOT!! :) Do let us know how you go at the cardiologist, but you re one fit girl and will be fine!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm amazed what you can create in your phone - modern technology is wonderful!

    That last picture is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoy how you scavenge for images and the way your imagination runs plus we get these fun app affects. No snow here, yet. But I'm wishing it all your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How skillful your are at Scavenger Hunting, Barb! All the photos are fabulous! Is the whimsical Barb wearing that funky bifocal glasses? I can relate to your diet habit. When I eat meals between my husband and I, our protein source is mainly from fish, tofu, soy beans, and a little of poultry, but my children like beef, pork, and chicken. Toward the year-end and the New Year, I might be well to take much much longer walk. Is the last photo is persimmon tree? Persimmon trees with branches sagging heavy with fruites is typical scene of autumn of Nara. Enjoy your weather between autumn and winter.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great! Love the view of Denver!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressive pictures. I copied the cheese cake recipe. It looks kind of dangerous--definitely will have to save it for some occasion when a crowd is to be served.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Barb,
    It is such a wonderful place to walk. The City Park is absolutely beautiful! I think there are always new creations in edited photos. The last one is very artistic!
    Stay warm!

    Tomoko

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks a lot (she says sarcastically) for the cheesecake recipe. That and a cake-from-scratch recipe on another blog have both caught my eye today, and I really don't need to be making either one of them. The truth is that not much cooking goes on around here these days either.
    As usual, your photos are very creative and appealing.
    I hope your visit to the cardioligist goes very well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really great line-up for the hunt this week. I do love that "best" shot...I definitely have a love-thing for red berries, well actually any color berries. Thanks for including the recipe for the almost too heavy to hold cheesecake!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barb - what a fabulous set of pictures so perfectly processed and completely true to the prompts. I so enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your week best picture is indeed super.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your vintage and your weeks best. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carpet beaters. How interesting. Your week's best is my favourite too. Love the way you're fiddling with so many apps. I searched for Camera! But can't seem to find it, perhaps because I still have an old iPhone 4. There is a Camera+ but for some reason I haven't been able to download it yet. Technology does not love me. I wish you the best for your appointment. I'm glad I'm not the only one indulging in cake! X

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't make a cheesecake until I was in my twenties. Please tell Amanda that the cake looks great. Love your new look, and certainly understand the need for a lighter menu.
    It is already dark here, or I would be out walking. Sunday is the only safe day in deer season.

    Your wall display is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, really fantastic! I can relate to cooking " or lack of" and whimsical is really fun. I spent a couple weeks in Colorado a couple of summers ago on a bike ride. Breckinridge was one ofour stops - I just couldn't get over the beauty of the Rockies!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely post Barb. Amanda did a wonderful job on the cheesecake. I made my first one a few years after I got married and it didn't look nearly as nice as hers. Lovely effects on the photos too. Thanks for stopping by and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh that cheesecake looks delicious!!! And I love the picture of Denver. So beautiful. It is so fun going to Denver to take pic's. :) I bet you got some snow this weekend....since we did in Ft. Collins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice scavenger hunts, I'd have to run a bunch of miles on that cheesecake!! Great Fall photo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely shots... all of them... but I LOVE the first and last shots! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my gosh.. I am loving your photos for SHS this week. Your editing is wonderful. Love the whimsical shot. Very fun...

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for the extra info :) I went to check the scavenger hunt link as well. I love the idea and wish I had a bit more time to participate. Perhaps one day! Hooroo! X

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fun post, Barb....your whimsical creation made me smile! Amanda has a sweet smile, I can see a lot of you in her!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great Job this week. Love your editing for the shots. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Barb, these are all pretty photos, and you know, I am all for no cooking, but the children have to be fed and they are fussy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I missed this earlier and glad I came back for it...not for the cheesecake recipe, because we can't eat like that any more (sob)....but for the wonderful stuff you're doing with your IPAD....I have so much to learn. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I try to visit all bloggers who comment on my posts.